Posting Date: January 10, 2022
Application Deadline: February 7, 2022
Job Title: Executive Director, Folk Music Ontario
Job Type: Full-time Contract (2-year contract with possibility of renewal)
Salary: $ 65,000
Location: Office in Ottawa, ON with the option to work remotely
Start date: April 4, 2022
Folk Music Ontario (FMO) is a member-based non-profit organization working to support the growth and development of the folk music community and industry since 1986. FMO seeks to foster a thriving, inclusive folk music community with local, national, and international impact and hosts the largest annual conference in Canada for the folk and roots music community. The organization’s membership includes festivals, presenters, artists, musicians, radio DJs, managers, publicists, agents, and other industry professionals.
The Board of Folk Music Ontario is seeking a visionary and passionate Executive Director to lead the organization into a future where it continues to grow and flourish.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for a range of operational and administrative matters; including the financial management of the organization, developing short and long-term goals and objectives, implementing programming, leading the team of staff, contractors, and volunteers, as well as acting as an ambassador for the organization building relationships and furthering the organization’s mission.
- Leadership experience including managing staff, contractors, volunteers
- Previous experience on a non-profit board of directors is a strong asset
- Experience in and understanding of the Canadian folk and roots music industry; international industry understanding an asset
- Event planning experience is an asset
- Demonstrated success in obtaining funding and preparing grant applications and reports, especially with Canadian Heritage, Ontario Creates, and FACTOR
- Strong financial acumen – experience with budgetary responsibility including setting and adhering to a budget and understanding financial reports at a working level
- Comfortable working in a digital environment (Microsoft One Drive, Excel, Word, Zoom, WordPress, QuickBooks)
SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES, AND VALUES
- Strong communicator (written and verbal) in English; French skills an asset
- Understanding of marketing, social media, communications, and branding to ensure internal and external communications are clear and relevant and useful
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial able to take initiative as well as able to work collaboratively
- Strategic thinker able to see the big picture but also detail-oriented
- Visionary leader who is respectful of the organization’s current success while demonstrating foresight and building new possible directions
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple and conflicting deadlines
- Values diversity and willing to continually work to create an equitable and inclusive environment for the organization both internally (staff, board) and externally (amongst members, at organizational events)
- Demonstrates a passion for the arts, especially folk and roots music
- Ability to build and strengthen relationships with stakeholders (Board, members, potential members, other arts organizations, funders, government, etc.)
- Available to travel to industry events both across Canada and internationally as required
Minimum of one relevant post-secondary degree such as arts, communications, or business or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested and qualified applicants should send resume and cover letter, in pdf format, to fmoboard at gmail.com by February 7, 2022 at 5pm EST.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you require access solutions to participate in the application process, please contact fmoboard at gmail.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.