A Letter from Julian Taylor
- Canadian Folk – Blues – Jazz radio and audio list – compiled and maintained by Melissa Kaestner
- Ontario Traditional Music Library – compiled and maintained by Ian Bell
eBooks & Books
Funding & Budgeting Resources
- Accounting for Freelancers– Useful accounting information for freelancers/entrepreneurs/small businesses
- Canada Emergency Business Account – CEBA– Provides interest-free, partially forgivable, loans of up to $60,000, to small businesses and not-for-profits for rent, utilities, insurance, taxes and wages. Recently expanded to include an additional interest-free $20,000 loan, 50% of which would be forgivable if repaid by December 31, 2022, effectively increasing support from a max of $40,000 to $60,000, including a max of $20,000 that may be forgiven. Apply before March 31, 2021, through banks and credit unions.
- Canadian Emergency Rent Subsidy – CERS– Canadian businesses, non-profit organizations, or charities may be eligible for a subsidy to cover partial commercial rent or property expenses, starting on September 27, 2020, until June 2021. Program provides payments directly to qualifying renters and property owners, without requiring the participation of landlords. CERS information & CERS Calculator
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit – CERB
- COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund
- Canada Helps Resource Guide– A guide for charitable organizations regarding measures available to the Charitable sector.
- Public Health Agency of Canada– Generalized information for all Canadians regarding health, wellness, travel, etc.
- Wellness Together Canada– In response to the unprecedented rise in mental distress due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Folk DJ An electronic discussion group for DJs and other people interested in all folk-based music.
- Mapleblue L is an e-mail group for the distribution of news and announcements of interest to the Canadian blues community. It is owned by the Toronto Blues Society and moderated by Ian Angus. Membership is open to anyone who is interested in what’s happening in Canadian blues. To join, send a blank email message to: email@example.com
- Maplepost is a mailing list for members of the Canadian folk music community. Anyone interested in Canadian folk, roots and world music is welcome to contribute. Send questions, suggestions, problems or complaints to: Maplepost Admin (firstname.lastname@example.org). To join, just visit: www.simplelists.com/subscribe/maplepost.
- Rocon Communications – a FB community page hosted by Roch Parisien, featuring the “Facebook Interviews” series
- Tell the Band to Go Home – a CJUM and podcast from Winnipeg featuring great singer-songwriters
Radio & Audio Sites
- Canadian Roots Radio – streaming live music
- Folk Alley – from Kent State, 24/7 streaming folk with lots of Canadian content
- RTDS.ca – the site of “Radio That Doesn’t Suck”, hosting Roots Music Thursdays
- Stingray Music – channels including Celtic, Folk Roots, and Around the World
- Association for Visual Arts – an organization that connects artists and communities to support aspiring artists
Wisdom of the Elders
- Building on the success of 2015, we presented another Wisdom of the Elders panel at the 2016 conference. Co-host Sonny Ochs suggested that we record the session, so that it would be available for anyone in the community to view at their leisure. We would like to thank Graham Lindsey, who produced this year’s wonderful Estelle Klein Award video about Anne Lederman, and who stepped up and offered to film the Wisdom of the Elders session. Click here to view the video now!